The News Life

Colin Montgomerie retreats with tail between legs after Tiger Woods response.cau

October 30, 2024 by cau cau

 

Tiger Woods responded to Colin Montgomeries claims that he should retire ahead of this weeks Open Championship  and the Scot has now issued a public statement backtracking from his own words

Colin Montgomerie responded on social media after Tiger Woods reacted to his assertion that the 82-time PGA Tour winner should end his playing career ahead of this weeks Open Championship.

In anticipation of the years last major, Montgomerie critiqued Woods choice to play at Royal Troon this week, in light of his ongoing physical challenges. I hope people remember Tiger as Tiger was, the passion and the charismatic aura around him, he told The Times.

There is none of that now. At Pinehurst, he did not seem to enjoy a single shot and you think What the hell is he doing?. Hes coming to Troon and he wont enjoy it there either.

Arent we there? Id have thought we were past there. There is a time for all sportsmen to say goodbye but its very difficult to tell Tiger its time to go. Obviously, he still feels he can win. We are more realistic.

When Montgomeries comments were presented to Woods at Royal Troon this week, he pointed out that being a past champion, hes permitted to compete at The Open until he turns 60 a privilege the Scotsman does not possess.

Well, as a past champion, Im exempt until Im 60. Colin is not, he said on Tuesday. He is not a past champion, so hes not exempt. So he doesnt get the opportunity to make that decision. I do. So when I get to his age, I get to still make that decision, where he doesnt.

In the aftermath of Woods response, Montgomerie has been quick to clarify his comments, claiming that they had been taken out of context. If Golf Writers want my thoughts on Tiger please ask me direct, rather than taking a quote from an interview out of context, he said. Wishing Tiger an enjoyable and successful week.

I just wish Tiger had gone after he waved on that Swilken bridge at St Andrews a couple of years ago, Montgomerie expressed to talkSPORT back in April. Hes kept going, he thinks he can do it but its quite obvious now physically and mentally, that he cant. Hes competing once a month and its not enough.

You cant play once a month and hope to contend with these guys now I wish hed waved goodbye to the golfing word a couple of years ago.

Meanwhile, aside from the chatter about hanging up his clubs, Woods is prepping for only his fifth event of the season at this weeks championship. His quest at Royal Troon begins Thursday, teeing off with compatriots Xander Schauffele and Patrick Cantlay.

 

 

Filed Under: Uncategorized

Primary Sidebar

Recent Posts

  • Bruno Fernandes’ Burnley Goal: A Season-Defining Moment for Manchester United and Ruben Amorim.M1
  • Matheus Cunha: Serious Injury, Manchester United Faces a Challenge.M1
  • BREAKING: Lady Gaga Offers Performance and Sponsorship to Real Madrid; Club Declines
  • JUST IN: Levante have shown interest in Manuel Ángel. They’ve already approached Real Madrid regarding the player. If an agreement is reached, Madrid will look to retain control over his future.M1
  • Vinícius Jr’s contract talks on hold. Negotiations to renew Vinícius’ deal have been postponed until the end of the current season. The Brazilian will focus on improving his performances on the pitch to strengthen his role when discussions resume. ⚪🇧🇷 ❗️ If he doesn’t renew, the club will part ways with him.M1

Recent Comments

  1. A WordPress Commenter on Hello world!

Copyright © 2025 · Paradise on Genesis Framework · WordPress · Log in